The Microphone Does Not Work In Windows 10
Many who have already switched to the new Windows 10 operating system have a problem with sound. To begin with, it is worth noting that if the microphone does not work, you do not need to blame the compatibility of the installed sound card with the operating system. The aforementioned problem may appear among users of their various types.
Causes of microphone problems in Windows 10
Attention. Before you begin to change the settings of the operating system, make sure that the microphone is working by connecting it to another device. If the operational status is confirmed, read on.
To the question why such difficulties arise, there may be several answers, here are some of them:
1) incorrect settings;
2) incorrect operation of the sound driver;
3) problems with the front panel of the computer.
Methods for resolving the “microphone does not work” problem
To set up the microphone in Windows 10, you need to perform a series of actions in the following order:
- Right-click on the image of the volume control and select “Recording Devices” in the menu that opens;
- After the corresponding window has opened, indicate your microphone in the expanded list;
- Open the "Properties" window and go to the "Advanced" tab;
- Go to the option “Studio quality” and set the parameters in it: 2 channels, 16 bits, frequency 96000 Hz;
- Confirm the changes made by clicking the “Apply” button, and then “OK”.
What to do to check the microphone after settings?
The best way to use a sound recording program (it is in every system installed on a computer) or even easier, using a voice messenger, for example, Skype.
If the microphone in Windows 10 does not work due to the driver, it is best to replace the existing one with a standard one from Microsoft. Here are the steps worth taking:
- Go to the "Start" menu by right-clicking (RMB) and select "Device Manager";
- Find a microphone in the device list. In its properties go to the tab "Driver". The name of the current may be, for example, Realtek High Definition Audio;
- In the pop-up menu, select "Update …";
- In the window that opens after completing the previous paragraph, first click on the phrase “Search for drivers on this PC”, and then on “Select a driver from the list of installed drivers”;
- In the list that appears, click on the item “Device supporting High Definition Audio” and click on the “Next” button;
- Reboot the system.
The only drawback of this solution is that Windows 10 will stop choosing the microphone you are using automatically.
Is the microphone still not working? It may not be in the operating system and its settings, but in problems with the front panel of the computer or its connection. To exclude this option, use the pink 3.5 mm. Connector displayed at the back of the system unit.
By the way, Windows 10 automatically detects which of the panels (back or front) the user’s microphone is currently connected to.
Want to get a portable charger for free?
Take part in the draw with minimal conditions. The winner will be announced on September 19, details here.